The Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission is a significant contributor to exceptional visitor experience at the Bay Area Discovery Museum. This position is responsible for managing the daily operations at the Front Desk, including staff supervision, fiscal responsibilities, and sales growth, while simultaneously providing exceptional customer service to guests and members of the Museum.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess exceptional communication and leadership skills and exhibit a friendly, energetic and professional demeanor. The Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission will take initiative in identifying and solving problems, completing tasks, and communicating essential information to multiple departments. This is a full-time, exempt management position reporting to the Senior Manager of Membership and Admission. The schedule for this position is Thursday through Monday.
Daily Operations (50%):
– Uphold and enact the Museum’s established Customer Service Standards; engage customers in a friendly and helpful tone.
– Display a professional demeanor and resolve guest issues calmly while working in a hectic and vibrant environment; report areas of ongoing concern to Senior Manager of Membership and Admission.
– Perform cashier duties and Front Desk opening and closing procedures while ensuring the proper handling of cash and sales receipts; accurately count tills and make change, apply membership and other discounts, accurately report any cash overages or shortages, and turn in required closing paperwork to Accounting.
– Promote and sell Museum memberships and programs.
– Answer visitor and member inquiries via telephone.
– Maintain clean and tidy Front Desk, including guest queues, ticketing areas, and related spaces, to provide a safe and inviting atmosphere in the entry area.
– Manage organization of lost and found items.
– Assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to inputting daily membership sales, fulfilling memberships, and restocking supplies.
– Participate in procedures to respond to emergencies.
Staff Supervision (30%):
– Participate in interviewing, hiring, and training Front Desk staff to ensure a consistently high level of visitor and member satisfaction.
– Educate and train Front Desk staff on upcoming promotions, museum programs, and events; ensure staff are knowledgeable in these areas and able to execute promotions within the Altru system.
– Model appropriate behavioral standards for staff; set pace for work quality and productivity.
– Supervise daily operations and serve as lead member of the Front Desk team.
– Ensure that the visitor experience is at the forefront of all policies and operations.
– Ensure customer service standards and membership sales best practices are followed.
– Model, develop, and maintain a team-oriented environment; maintain effective lines of communication between staff and management.
– Draft department work and break schedules and plan for adequate supervisory coverage.
– Approve bi-weekly time sheets for Front Desk staff.
– Monitor performance and provide timely feedback to Senior Manager of Membership and Admission.
– Perform annual staff performance evaluations and initiate progressive discipline as needed.
Fiscal Responsibilities and Sales Growth (20%):
– Meet or exceed monthly membership revenue goals; model and enforce membership sales best practices.
– Assist with accurate and timely completion of data entry.
– Assist in the compilation and reporting of membership and admission data to museum staff.
– Complete daily/monthly/fiscal year accounting and reporting procedures with a high level of accuracy; produce custom reports as needed.
– A minimum of 3 years demonstrated customer service experience required, preferably in the hospitality/retail industry or an attendance-based environment.
– A minimum of 2 years leadership or supervisory experience required.
– Cash handling experience; ability to count cash and change quickly and accurately ensuring the Front Desk is ready to open at 9:00 AM.
– Proficient experience with point of sale or ticketing systems preferred, experience with Altru a plus.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; positive, energetic, and friendly demeanor.
– Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks as assigned.
– Diplomatic and decisive leadership skills, with excellent organization and time management.
– Reliability and a self-starter attitude; initiative to seek out work during slow business times.
– Ability to attend to details and work with a high degree of accuracy.
– Ability to prioritize and efficiently complete varied tasks and meet deadlines.
– Ability to work independently, collaboratively as part of a team, and cooperatively with other museum departments to ensure an integrated guest experience.
– Ability to maintain focus and professional demeanor while serving large numbers of visitors.
– Exceptional conflict management and resolution skills; ability to calm escalated situations in person, over the phone, and through email.
– Ability to be professional and courteous in all interactions with general public, educational community, museum staff, and professional guests; comfort interacting with senior management, high level donors, and all other members of our diverse community.
– Strong computer skills, including advanced experience with Windows, MS Word, and Excel; ability to learn additional software programs, including financial and accounting systems.
– Ability to perform standard office functions, such as filing, faxing, and copying and to learn basic accounting tasks such as billing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
– Ability to adhere to work schedule and to work weekdays, weekends, holidays and occasional evenings as necessary.
– English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese preferred).
Qualified candidates should apply online at: