Spend your summer in the beautiful high Sierras working as a cook for the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department’s Camp Mather!
Working Conditions and Schedule
Room and board is provided at Camp Mather. Camp Assistants will have at least one roommate, housing is for employees only, and pets are not allowed. No transportation is provided to and from Camp Mather. Previous paid or volunteer experience with San Francisco Recreation and Park does not guarantee future employment. The basic workweek is six (6) days, as needed, and comprises a variety of shifts as well as weekends and evenings. Overtime may be required. In 2016 there will be three (3) approximate periods of employment at Camp Mather as follows:
1. Startup Session: Certain employees may be scheduled to work through or during any part of Startup Session, which begins on April 4 and ends on May 22;
2. Summer Session: The majority of employees may be scheduled to work through or during any part of Summer Session, which begins on May 23 and ends on August 13; and
3. Special/Close-down Session: Certain employees may be scheduled to work through or during any part of Special/Close-down Session, which begins on August 14 and ends on September 30.
Under supervision, Cooks hold responsibilities for and perform duties in the skilled preparation and cooking of large quantities of a variety of foods which are served cafeteria style. Cooks prepare ingredients for full course meals including appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties
1. Prepare and assist in preparing large amounts of food, adjust recipes by increasing or reducing amounts of ingredients, and operate kitchen equipment;
2. Observe and enforce safety procedures in the kitchen;
Provide guidance to Recreation Leaders and Camp Assistants;
3. Follow established policies on and procedures for all facets of kitchen operations;
4. Lift and carry food and cooking supplies weighing up to 25 pounds; and
5. Maintain required records and reports.
1. Two (2) years of verifiable experience, within the last five (5) years, preparing and cooking large quantities of food in an institutional kitchen such as a hospital, correctional facility or the military, or for a commercial high-volume food service operation for such as an airline or large hotel (at least 250 customers per day); AND
2. Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds and to mix and stir large quantities of food substances (i.e., oatmeal, stew, sauces) on a routine basis; AND
3. ServSafe Certificate and/or California Food Handler Card.
Note: Experience working in a coffee shop or small restaurant does NOT qualify.
Substitution: Successful completion of a culinary arts program or equivalent (i.e., City College program) lasting a minimum of one (1) year may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
1. Verifiable experience as described above in a position that required large quantities of food in volumes of up to 500 persons per day;
2. A working knowledge of popular dishes including vegetarian and gluten-free offerings;
3. Ability to follow established recipes in food preparation;
4. Ability to operate all kitchen equipment in a safe manner;
5. Ability to prepare large quantities of food following established sanitary guidelines;
6. CPRFPR/AED certification;
7. First Aid certification; and
8. Citizen or Neighborhood Emergency Response Team Training.
How to apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process by registering an account.
· Click and select TEX-2654-067026
· Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
· Click on “I am a New User”
· Follow instructions given on the screen
Computer kiosks are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file on-line applications in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103.