The Store Assistant maintains the Bay Area Discovery Museum’s Customer Service Standards by greeting customers, selling products, ringing sales and giving product information to visitors, all while maintaining a well-stocked and organized museum store.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Senior Manager of Retail Operations. The schedule for this position will be Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 AM to 5:15 PM.
Customer Service and Selling Function (75%):
* Uphold and enact the Museum’s established Customer Service Standards; engage customers in a pleasant and informed tone.
* Display a professional demeanor and handle difficult situations calmly while working in a hectic and vibrant environment.
* Actively seek out sales opportunities on the sales floor by engaging in conversation with both children and adults.
* Perform cashier duties and Store opening and closing procedures while ensuring the proper handling of cash and sales receipts; accurately count tills and make change, apply membership and other discounts, accurately report any cash overages or shortages, and turn in required closing paperwork to the Accounting department.
* Maintain a clean and safe Store for all visitors; dust and clean surfaces daily and use time efficiently between customer interactions to continually straighten merchandise, fill in merchandise from understock areas, and identify needed items from the remote stockroom.
* Apply knowledge to identify operational issues and internal problems and report them to the Senior Manager of Retail Operations.
Merchandise Handling Function (20%):
* Accurately check in merchandise, price merchandise, and report any shipment problems to the Senior Manager of Retail Operations.
* On a daily basis, identify stock needed in the Store, pull merchandise from the remote stockroom, and arrange merchandise on the selling floor.
* Maintain stockroom organization and neatness as set by the Senior Manager of Retail Operations.
Other Miscellaneous Duties (5%):
* Become proficient with the Front Desk point of sale system and fill in when needed greeting, directing and actively assisting museum visitors upon their arrival.
* Attend weekly Customer Service meetings and monthly All Staff meetings.
* Spend time off of the selling floor reading Museum wide emails and responding when needed.
* Keep fully informed as to upcoming museum events and activities.
* One year retail selling experience required.
* Proficient experience with Point of Sale systems a plus.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; positive, energetic, and friendly demeanor.
* Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks as assigned.
* Initiative to seek out work during slow business times.
* Ability to attend to details and work with a high degree of accuracy.
* Ability to prioritize and efficiently complete varied tasks and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
* Ability to maintain focus and professional demeanor while serving large numbers of visitors.
* Honest, reliable and a team player.
* Cash handling experience; ability to count cash and change quickly and accurately insuring the store is ready to open at 9:00 AM.
* Basic computer literacy.
* Ability to adhere to work schedule and to work weekends, weekdays and occasional evenings as necessary.
Qualified candidates should apply online at: