The Marin Humane Society, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking an Agility Training Instructor to join our team. Our mission is to improve the lives of animals and people through advocacy, education, and support. Our Core Values are Dedication to Animals, Collaborative Spirit, Courage with Compassion, Pursuit of Learning, and Celebrating Differences.
SUMMARY: The Feline Behavior Associate works with the Feline Behavior Coordinator to provide feline behavior services to shelter cats and members of the public. In this capacity, he/she provides consultation and educational sessions for the public, the volunteers, other shelters and MHS staff, he/she assists in supporting the Animal Care Department with all of the behavior assessments and health checks for shelter cats and he/she supports the Adoptions Department with pre-adoption consults on particularly challenging cats. He/she is accountable for accomplishing department goals, working collaboratively with internal and external MHS stakeholders and supporting the mission, goals and philosophy of the Marin Humane Society.
ACCOUNTABILTY: Feline Behavior Coordinator
SALARY RANGE: $14.83 – $16.48 — D.O.E — non exempt
HOURS: Part–Time — Temporary, 16 hours/week — Position open until filled
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
FELINE BEHAVIOR SERVICES
• Work directly with behaviorally challenged shelter cats to improve their outcome
o Identify shelter cats needing socialization
o Design strategies for assisting these cats
• Conduct telephone, in person or home sessions with clients about their feline companions
o Document behavior history
o Respond to public hotline calls directly. Make follow up calls, as needed
o Make recommendations on how to manage their concerns
o Maintain records documenting Cat Behavior Office work including updating a Filemaker Pro database and Excel spreadsheets.
• In conjunction with the Feline Behavior Coordinator, provide training and continuing education for all cat program volunteers, including Cat Pet Pals
• Provide feedback on cat behavior volunteers as needed
• Provide recognition of cat behavior volunteers when appropriate and as needed
• Assist in providing educational workshops/classes on cat behavior to the public
• Write articles to promote cat programs and education
• Give presentations to increase awareness, appreciation and understanding of cats and feline behavior
• Understand, support, and articulate organization’s policies and philosophies to the public in a positive and effective manner
• Promote and emulate exemplary customer service by providing courteous, prompt and responsive service to internal and external customers
• Foster teamwork, creativity and a work culture aligned with MHS mission and values
SAFETY & SECURITY
• Model and encourage safe practices and regulatory compliance throughout the organization
• Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules
• Must be willing to report safety violations as well as potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
• Adheres to the files and records retention policies and procedures
An ideal Candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of a wide variety of cat behavior
• Ability to supervise and mentor volunteers
• Animal welfare experience with direct, hands on experience working with cats in a shelter setting
• Ability to counsel cat owners on cat behavior
• Practical medical knowledge about cats, veterinary technician experience a plus
• Strong inter-personal and analytical skills
• Ability to organize and present recommendations
• Empathy, patience, good communication and listening skills
• Good computer skills, knowledge of the Microsoft Suite of software products, knowledge of FileMaker Pro database helpful
• Experience giving presentations to the public
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A typical way of gaining the necessary knowledge, skill and ability for this position is a minimum of two to four years of working in shelters with cats or experience counseling cat owners and experience with a variety of cats is required. Behavior knowledge should have been gained through a combination of academic study, attendance at seminars and lectures and personal study. Experience supervising volunteers is highly desired. Good writing and presentation skills are required. Social services or experience counseling people would be useful. Bi-lingual in English and Spanish would be preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and regularly required to walk and stand; this position involves a regular amount of repetitive motion of hands and wrists; the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or sit on floor. The employee must occasionally lift, move, pull and/or push up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Since this job requires working with animals, successful applicant shouldn’t have any animal related allergies.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles (i.e. pet dander) and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Willingness to work outside normal business hours; weekend time commitment is mandatory for this position.
Apply through Craigslist