The Workers’ Compensation Division (WCD) at the Department of Human Resources for the City and County of San Francisco is seeking a Benefits Technician.
Under immediate supervision, a 1209 Benefits Technician in WCD performs technical and clerical work in employee benefits specific to Workers’ Compensation. This is the entry-level class of the Employee Benefits series, performing technical and administrative support and research and working closely with Workers’ Compensation Adjusters (8141) in order to ensure a smooth and seamless delivery of benefits to injured employees and the timely completion of critical, time-sensitive tasks.
Following is a list of essential and important duties that may be assigned to a 1209 Benefits Technician:
- Provides support services to analysts or adjuster in processing claims and benefit entitlements.
- Provides general information to City employees regarding retirement benefits, health and dental benefits, or worker’s compensation benefits.
- Researches records and accounts for prior membership, premium history, account discrepancies, requested information, buybacks, withdrawal status, payment history, prior claims, overpayments, underpayments, injury information, and adjustments in database.
- Makes adjustments, and creates, updates, inputs, and maintains information in the computer software files or in the database.
- Reviews, completes, and processes a variety of membership forms, medical claims, and medical only (worker’s compensation) claims.
- Conducts research on claims to determine appropriate rates to use for payment and refers claims needing further attention to an analyst or claim examiner.
- Performs various calculations to support the determination of retirement, health services, or worker’s compensation benefits.
- Communicates with employees, dependents, human resources, and payroll personnel within citywide departments, representatives from outside agencies, medical practitioners, lawyers, and other professionals.
- Responds to routine vendor and claimant tracer inquires on unpaid medical invoices and medical only claims.
- Completes standard form letters, and maintains reports, logs, and records.
- Acts as a verifier to check work performed by another technician at the end of the day.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.