Marin County Parks will be hiring up to four seasonal positions to join an existing team charged with implementing a second phase of a park and open space visitor study, assisting with other department research projects, and fulfilling other duties as assigned.
1) Staff will be primarily responsible for counting and interviewing visitors at 17 park and open space locations. This position requires strong communication skills, familiarity with tablet computers and data entry, and a willingness to work alone, in addition to the requirements below.
2) Staff will assist open space rangers and resources staff with the maintenance of research cameras and review of data. This work requires sitting in a computer lab for several hours at a time, hiking, and some physical labor, in addition to the requirements below.
3) Staff may assist the department with other tasks from time to time, including: community outreach and engagement (including Roving Ranger support, attending community events, and tabling), participation in community programming, working with volunteers, writing summary reports, maintaining tools and equipment, general park and trail maintenance, and other tasks as needed.
This position requires strong interpersonal communications skills. All seasonal assistants must be able to drive to remote locations, lift 30-40 pounds of equipment, work alone, and engage visitors and assist them with completing surveys on tablet computers. Work may occur during adverse weather conditions. Seasonal assistants may also be required to hike and work in difficult conditions on rugged terrain. Some work may require the use of hand tools and will often be at sites that require hiking across remote terrain. Full training and safety gear will be provided depending on tasks assigned.
Crew members will be trained in:
• Survey methodology and data collection
• Driving and communications protocols
• Other skills depending on assignment
This is a full time, 4-5 day per week, temporary position to last approximately 5 months.
Apply for this position online at Craigslist