San Francisco ACE Program – Access to City Employment
The Access to City Employment (ACE) Program provides an alternative route towards permanent City employment for qualified *disabled individuals.
- *A physical or mental impairment that limits one or more major life activities or an impairment that makes performance of a major life activity “difficult”.
Under the ACE Program, individuals who are eligible can enter the City workforce without going through the competitive civil service merit process which would otherwise consist of successfully passing an examination and placement on an eligible list in a reachable rank.
ACE-qualifying positions must be from entry-level classifications. An entry-level classification is defined as either:
- The first job classification in a series; or
- A stand-alone job classification (not included in a class series).
A list of active classifications can be found here.
To be considered for the ACE Program you must:
- Apply and complete an application for an ACE-eligible job classification through the ACE website found here.
- Hold a “Certification of Severe Disability” issued by the State of California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or the United States Veterans Administration.
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the classification noted on the employment announcement, which are reviewed and confirmed by the Analyst.
A list of employment opportunities for the ACE Program can be found here.
Step One: Identify classifications you are interested in and for which you meet the minimum qualifications.
Step Two: Complete an application for each classification you are interested in. Be sure to complete and submit necessary information on the application to establish your qualifications. All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application. Do not write “Please see resume.”
Employment applications that are incomplete or completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility and disqualification.
Step Three: Once your application is submitted, contact Porsche Bunton, ACE Recruiter, at 415-557-4928, or by email at email@example.com so that your application can be reviewed. If you have any questions regarding the recruitment or application process, contact Ms. Bunton.
- A City Department designates an entry-level position under the ACE Program.
- If you successfully meet the minimum qualifications of the ACE Program and the designated position, your application will be forwarded to the participating Department for potential openings.
To be eligible for the ACE Program, applicants MUST hold a Certification of Severe Disability from State of California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) OR a copy of a Service Connected Disability Award Letter from your nearest Veterans Administration (VA) Regional Office by going online to E-benefits or calling 1-800-827-1000.
Applicants are not required to be clients of the Department of Rehabilitation in order to receive a Certificate.
If you have any questions regarding a Certificate of Severe Disability, please contact the DOR Liaison, Ricardo Perez, by telephone at 415-904-7137, or by email at RJPerez@dor.ca.gov.