The Exploratorium is seeking part-time Field Trip Explainers.
The Exploratorium is a not-for-profit museum dedicated to the public understanding of science, art, and human perception. It has pioneered the role of museums as active teaching centers with original programming based on an interactive approach to learning. It serves as an interdisciplinary resource for schools, universities, scientists, and artists, as well as for the public.
Field Trip Explainers serve as educators for field trips and general visitors during the school year. The Field Trip Explainers report to the Field Trips Assistant Manager and Acting Director.
• Greet and orient school groups as they arrive at the museum for their field trips.
• Conduct demonstrations and engage students in explorations of exhibits.
• Oversee all areas open to the public and identify and report broken exhibits.
• Answer students’ and teachers’ questions about the exhibits and the museum.
• Support other Explainers by filling in as needed and through good, regular communication.
• Participate in regular Explainer trainings.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Ability to teach in a non-classroom setting.
• Ability and interest in learning exhibits and their scientific principles and communicating these to students and teachers.
• Demonstrated interest in education.
• Able to interact with and manage large groups.
• Able to exercise good judgement (think on your feet).
• Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Cantonese highly desirable.
Apply for this position online at Exploratorium – Jobs